This doesn't really have anything to do with dads or parenting or kids or whatever, but my new favorite thing on the Internet is Google Maps. Typically of Google, it's simple, easy to use, and incredibly powerful. You can find just about any location instantly, get directions, and even see a satellite image of what you were looking for. But the coolest thing is, Google has opened up all the data (via XML) so people can make all kinds of cool stuff with it.
- Google Maps
- Google Sightseeing - A blog with links to satellite images of famous places, or just cool satellite images. (via Waxy.org)
- Google Real Estate Listings - An ingenious combination of Google Maps and the real estate for rent and for sale on Craigslist. I got hooked on this for fifteen minutes this morning. (via Waxy.org)
- HOW-TO: Make your own annotated multimedia Google map (Engadget.com) - A pretty lengthy explanation for something that doesn't look at first glance to be particularly easy, but it shows how customizable it can be.
- GMapIt! Firefox Extension - Allows you to get driving directions to any phone number using Google Maps. (via Waxy.org)
- How Google Maps works (Boing Boing).
- The exact location and satellite image of Matthew Baldwin from Defective Yeti.